Superhero Capes

WE’VE MOVED! Go to www.pinkpolkadotbaker.com to see what we have been working on!

Capes

My friend, Beryl, had a challenge that she had to complete for an upcoming business conference where she and a “sidekick” had to dress up like superheroes in public for at least two hours. When she told me about the challenge, we talked about what she could do and superhero capes came up in the conversation. She asked if I would make the capes for her, and I readily accepted! It had been a long time since I had something to sew so it was exciting to know I’d be able to get back behind the sewing machine!

Beryl, her daughter Brielle, and I all went to the fabric store one evening to pick out the fabric and then I was ready to get started! I found a tutorial on Momsrising.org which looked simple enough!

To make Brielle’s cape I followed the directions found at Momsrising exactly. I did add a patch to the back that said “Super B,” which actually proved to be a bit more challenging than I originally thought. To put the “Super B” on the back, I created WordArt in Microsoft Word (this was the only way I could find that I was able to make a mirror image of the words). I printed the mirror imaged “Super B” onto iron on sheets. Then, I took white fabric and ironed on the “Super B.” I made the mistake of not measuring the patch before cutting and just eyeballing where I thought the cuts should go. When I realized it wasn’t perfect, I ended up cutting off a little more than I wanted (you can see that a slight part of the B got cut off). I normally would have redone the patch, but I was running out of time and decided if I was able to change it I would, but I thought it still came out pretty cute!

Here is a picture of the “Super B” cape- sorry for the horrible picture quality…it was the only one I took before giving them to Beryl!

Super B

Next, I made Beryl’s cape. I used the same general idea to make the cape, but instead of only 2 yards of fabric we got 3 yards. I changed the amounts for the top and bottom to 9 and 15 to make sure they would be appropriate lengths for an adult. I did have quite a bit of leftover fabric from each cape, but I would rather have too much than too little! Since there was so much fabric in the cape, when I sewed the patch on the back, the fabric kept bunching. I ended up having to resew the patch on because it was so bunched. When I sewed it on again, it still bunch a little, but it was the best I could do in the time I had!

Here’s what Beryl’s cape looked like when I was finished:
Super Mom

Next came the challenge of actually wearing the cape in public! I think Beryl and Brielle rocked those capes!! The next two photographs are from Blaire at Second Ave Photography!

B2 Pow

B2 Walking

What a wonderful day of memories for Beryl and Brielle!

Crafting love!
Heather

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Superhero Capes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s