WE’VE MOVED! Go to www.pinkpolkadotbaker.com to see what we have been working on!
Every few weeks I have a work meeting with other teachers in the same position as me and I (almost) always bring some kind of treat for everyone. This week, one of the other teachers asked if I would bring something chocolatey and coconuty…I was happy to oblige, seeing how these are two of my favorite flavors!
After searching the internet a bit for the perfect recipe, I ran across these Chocolate Pretzel Coconut Layer Bars on the Very Best Baking website. These sounded so delicious, I had to make them!!
To make the bars you will need:
(The amounts are what are in the original recipe, but the only thing I actually “measured” were the things that didn’t really need measuring- cake mix, butter, egg, and milk):
1 pkg German Chocolate Cake
1/2 crushed pretzels
1/2 cup butter, softened (the regular recipe calls for it to be melted, but mine came out just fine just softened)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels (I actually used the entire package…I love chocolate!)
1 cup butterscotch flavored morsels (I used about half of a package)
1 cup flaked coconut (I used half a package)
1 cup chopped pecans (I used an entire small bag)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
2. Combine the cake mix, pretzels, butter, and egg in a bowl. Mix on medium until well mixed.
3. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan. I found it was MUCH easier to just use my hands for this part.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is puffy and looks dry. Cool for 5 minutes.
5. Layer remaining ingredients over the crust. Pour the sweetened condensed last.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely! Cut into bars and enjoy!
These bars were a complete hit at my meeting- everyone loved them and were raving about them! I loved that this was something I could bake, but I didn’t have to worry so much about exact measurements. I really don’t think you can go with the combination of ingredients used here!